The purpose of this educational course is to provide additional techniques for counselors in leading group therapy sessions for substance use treatment. In this course counselors will learn types of group therapy, confidentiality, client placement, group development, stages of treatment, how-to tips, training, and supervision. This educational independent study course covers counseling services, discharge and continuing care, legal, ethical and professional development skills of the Eight Counselor Skill Groups ascribed by NAADAC and NCC AP.
Upon completion of this education course, the participant will be able to:
- Demonstrate counseling skills in leading group therapy in Substance Use Treatment
- Describe different types of group therapy techniques
- Identify stages of treatment
- Understand training and supervision techniques and skills in group therapy.
- Professional Care Providers
- Program Planners, Administrators, & Project Managers
Center for Substance Abuse Treatment.Substance Abuse Treatment: Group Therapy.Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 41. HHS Publication No. (SMA)15-3991. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2005.
Exam written by: Tamika Lett, PhD Human Services, NCAC II, CSAC, CCTP, QMHP A/C