This education course is a a review of SAMHSAs TIP 50: Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Use Treatment. This course covers best practices for working with suicidal adults living with substance use disorders. There is information on risk factors and warning signs for suicide, core competencies, and clinical vignettes for providers to use in treatment. This educational independent study course covers Counseling services, Clinical Intake and Screening, Clinical Assessment, and Legal, Ethical and Professional development skills of the Eight Counselor Skill Groups ascribed by NAADAC and NCC AP.
Upon completion of this education course , the participant will be able to:
- Describe the relationship between suicide and substance use.
- Identify risk factors and warning signs for suicide.
- Demonstrate knowledge of interventions and treatment for suicide and substance use.
- Professional Care Providers
- Program Planners, Administrators, & Project Managers
Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance AbuseTreatment. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 50. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 154381. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2009.
Exam written by: Tamika Lett, PhD Human Services, NCAC II, CSAC, CCTP, QMHP A/C