What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence is the ability to manage your own emotions and understand and manage those around you. There are four components to emotional Intelligence according to Goleman;
Four components of Emotional Intelligence
1 . Self Awareness: Recognizing your own emotions.
2. Social Awareness: Recognizing the emotions of others.
3. Self Management: Regulation of impulses.
4. Social Skills: managing how you interact with others.
By understanding where you stand in the four components, one can increase these skills and become a better performer on the job and in life. The benefits of Emotional Intelligence goes far beyond the individual, the skills are beneficial in organizations for production and management., and in life for interaction and relationship building.
What are the benefits of having Emotional Intelligence?
- Higher levels of productivity and management.
- Facilitate an environment of change.
- Cultivate a teamwork environment.
- Build better trusting relationships.
- Cultivate stronger leaders.
- Decreased occupational stress.
- Increased team performance.
- Reduced staff turnover.
How is Emotional Intelligence related to leadership?
Effective leaders have an understanding of how their emotions work and how they impact those around them . While education and professional skills are important, understanding of emotions impacts the day to day interactions at work and in life. According to Bradberry and Graves (2009)Emotional Intelligence accounts for 58% of performance in jobs and those have been found to have higher emotional Intelligence earn higher salaries.
Training and Education
Leadership Development CoachingDownload